In the period of Emperor Xuanzong of , Indian monks came to the temple to discuss and lecture on Buddhism. After its decline in practical use, Emperor Xuanzong of Tang built a tower there.
Created in 558, the first master of the temple is Jinxian, hence called it was called the Jinxian Court . In 589, under Master Shanwuwei , it was expanded in size and renamed Jinshan Monastery . Master Shanwuwei was one of the temple's founders who also visited Japan, so some Japanese Buddhists arrived here as well.
Major renovations took place in the and Dynasties.
As of 1949, there were 60 resident monks. In 1965, there were 57. During the Cultural Revolution, the temple is forcibly closed and turned into a factory, all statues of the deities were smashed, and all monks dispelled.
In February 1980, a provincial Putian County Guanghua Restoration Committee was created. Funded mostly by overseas Chinese, the reconstruction began four years later in December.
In 1983, the 36-year-old Master Yiran became the head monk of the temple. In 1990, the 24-year-old Master Xuecheng replaced him.
* Gaoshan Gate : two-story
* Tianwang Palace
* Jialan Palace
* Sanzang Palace
* Dizang Palace
There is a 10-metre stone staircase with 199 steps in front of the temple.